Israel Jails Soldier for Eating Pork
by Stephen Lendman
You can't make this stuff up. Don't put anything past Israel. Rogue states find new ways to commit abuses.
It's hard believing this one but it's true. An unnamed US-born Israeli soldier was sentenced to 11 days in jail for eating non-kosher food during training.
After an Israeli reporter asked for an IDF comment, his sentence was commuted to denying him a weekend furlough.
Israeli army regulations prohibit non-kosher food on military bases. An IDF spokesperson's office called the soldier's action "unbecoming to what is expected from a cadet in a commanders course, which is why he was tried severely."
"Nevertheless, after reexamining the matter, his punishment was changed."
Israeli IDF dietary regulations state:
"1. To ensure kosher food for the soldiers, be sure to hold two separate sets of cookware, serving dishes and utensils - one for meat and one for milk, in all kitchens and dining rooms.
2. Each system includes: pots and lids, ladles, frying pans and utensils, teapots, bowls, grinding machines, sieves, kitchen work tables, plates, cups, spoons, forks and knives.
3. The system will be given a special place and a separate kitchen.
4. Prominently mark the meat Tools System letters 'meat' and a tool of milk letters 'milk' or other mark. Let it be known to all kitchen staff.
5. Every kitchen should have bowls, pipes and taps for washing, cleaning materials (steel wool, beautiful, kosher soap, detergent kosher, etc.) and tool-specific towels for milk and meat vessels, which will be prominently marked and maintained in separate locations.
Each program should have installed a dishwashing machine requiring the approval of the Chief Military Rabbinate.
6. Every kitchen should have a special tool (tub or bath) for soaking meat, perforated tools, and proper equipment for roasting meat and liver.
7. Every kitchen is equipped adequately for the purpose of Saturday evening cooking and heating arrangements."
The reprimanded soldier's grandmother prepared his non-kosher meal. It's hard imagining jailing someone for the crime of eating the wrong food.
Anything is possible in Israel. The self-styled "most moral army in the world" is trained to be cold-blooded killers - including murdering noncombatant men, women and children, using them as human shields, and brutalizing prisoners taken captive.
The same "moral" army allies with US naked aggression against independent regional countries - notably Syria and Yemen currently. It bombs them at its discretion.
On June 2, reports indicate it bombed targets on the Syrian/Lebanese border. Little more is known so far.
ISIS terrorists are operating in Gaza. Israel may be facilitating their entry - only possible through heavily guarded border areas or by sea in waters Israel patrols preventing any vessels from reaching Gaza.
The most moral army in the world brutalizes Palestinian children, terrorizes their communities, bulldozes their homes, steals their land, and imprisons their loved ones for the crime of being Arab.
It kidnaps Palestinians almost regularly - at least 17 overnight Monday in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.
Israeli soldiers told 16-year-old Baraa Kalaid Madhun they'd break his legs if he left his house from 6PM - 11AM.
Right-wing Knesset members advanced legislation allowing up to 20 years imprisonment for the crime of stone-throwing.
The measure makes defendants prove innocence or be declared guilty by accusation. Settlers throwing stones at Palestinians, beating them, attacking them other ways or vandalizing their property aren't affected.
The world's most moral army protects them from Palestinian self-defense. It shoots Palestinian children for target practice.
It wages slow-motion genocide on an entire population for the crime of not being Jewish.
Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
His new book as editor and contributor is titled "Flashpoint in Ukraine: US Drive for Hegemony Risks WW III."
Visit his blog site at sjlendman.blogspot.com.
Listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the Progressive Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network.
It airs three times weekly: live on Sundays at 1PM Central time plus two prerecorded archived programs.