Wednesday, August 17, 2016

NYT Editors Ignore Obama's War on Yemen

NYT Editors Ignore Obama’s War on Yemen

by Stephen Lendman

The Times is a shameless instrument of state propaganda, reporting only what it wants its readers to know, suppressing what’s most important, especially on geopolitical issues. More below on a Times editorial on Yemen.

Throughout his tenure, Obama waged illegal drone war on its people, largely killing unknown numbers of noncombatant civilians - innocent US imperial victims, millions of others post-9/11 alone throughout the region, central Asia, North Africa and elsewhere.

In March 2015, he launched escalated naked aggression, partnered with Israel and Gulf States, mainly Saudi Arabia - a proxy US imperial force, putting 24 million Yemenis at risk from war, related violence, preventable diseases, starvation and overall deprivation.

Slow-motion genocide continues, UN-claimed casualty numbers way understate reality. Countless thousands died, mostly civilians, numerous others seriously injured, many maimed for life - millions suffering, perhaps hundreds of thousands dying slow, painful deaths, especially young children, the elderly and infirm.

US warships off Yemen’s coast enforce suffocating blockade conditions. America’s satellite, human, electronic and other intelligence select Saudi terror-bombing targets.

Yemen is Obama’s war, Riyadh its proxy military force, well-supplied with weapons sold by US defense companies, using them to commit cold-blooded murder - with US approval, complicity and encouragement.

On August 15, the latest Saudi atrocity occurred - terror-bombing a Doctors Without Borders (MSF) hospital. An MSF statement confirmed 14 deaths so far, another 24 injured.

“This is the fourth attack against an MSF-supported facility in Yemen in the last year,” the group reported - each one deliberate, targets selected by Washington, Saudi terror-bombing doing the rest with US-supplied weapons.

According to MSF’s emergency program manager Teresa Sancristoval, “(a)fter each attack, MSF received reassurances from the actors in the conflict with promises that this will not happen again” - until next time when it does, time and again, Washington fully responsible, Saudis complicit in its high crimes.

“MSF shared the coordinates and (other pertinent) information related to all its facilities in Yemen with all parties to the conflict,” Sancristoval explained, yet they’re repeatedly and deliberately attacked.

Head of Yemen’s MSF mission Juan Prieto said “(w)ith the closure of this once fully functioning hospital that served the whole area, the community is now deprived of essential medical services at a time when access to health care is most vital.”

America’s rage for imperial dominance ignores the cost in lost lives, vast destruction and human misery, part of its ruthless state-terror strategy - striking medical facilities, schools, residential areas, mosques, food and fuel storage locations, power plants and other civilian targets of convenience.

Calling America “complicit in (ongoing) carnage,” New York Times editors failed to explain its full responsibility for naked aggression against a nonbelligerent country.

Yemen is Obama’s war, raging low-level throughout his tenure until escalated full-blown last March - endless conflict continuing perhaps for years if nothing is done to curb America’s imperial madness.

Instead of telling readers what they most need to know, Times editors said “Obama should quietly inform Riyadh that the United States will withdraw crucial assistance if the Saudis do not stop targeting civilians and agree to negotiate peace.”

Fighting continues because Washington rejects peace and stability in Yemen, the entire region and in other targeted countries.

Saudi Arabia didn’t launch war on Yemen last year, as Times editors claim. America did, Riyadh, other Gulf States and Israel acting as proxies for its imperial project, pouring heavy weapons into these countries intended solely for aggression and internal repression.

Last week, the State Department approved $1.15 billion more to replenish Riyadh’s arsenal - so it continue terror-bombing Yemenis without letup.

As long as Washington and its rogue partners want war, not peace, genocidal high crimes will continue against all targeted countries. 

Times reporting explains none of this - nor do other print and electronic media scoundrels, supporting imperial lawlessness.

Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago. He can be reached at lendmanstephen@sbcglobal.net. 

His new book as editor and contributor is titled "Flashpoint in Ukraine: US Drive for Hegemony Risks WW III."

http://www.claritypress.com/LendmanIII.html

Visit his blog site at sjlendman.blogspot.com. 


Listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the Progressive Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network.