Bipartisan Neocon Senators Introduce New Illegal Sanctions on Russia
by Stephen Lendman
Vicious US policies give wickedness new meaning, a rogue state exceeding the worst of earlier ones, doing more harm to more people over a longer duration than any other nation in history - a ruthless record only tyrannical regimes would admire and envy.
Irresponsible Russia bashing continues at a fever pitch. On January 10, a bipartisan criminal gang of rogue neocon senators introduced what they called “comprehensive sanctions legislation on Russia for their cyber intrusions, aggression, and destabilizing activities here in the United States and around the world.”
Co-sponsors of the Countering Russian Hostilities Act include John McCain, Lindsey Graham, Marco Rubio, Robert Menendez, Dick Durbin and other members of Washington’s lunatic fringe. Illegal provisions include:
- visa bans and asset freezes on targeted Russian officials;
- sanctions on individuals accused of materially aiding, sponsoring, or providing financial, material or technological support for cyberattacks on America - true or false;
- sanctions on transactions with Russia’s defense and intelligence sectors, including the FSB and GRU;
- codifying various Obama’s Executive Orders on (nonexistent) Russian US election hacking and (nonexistent) “Russian aggression;”
- sanctions on investments of $20 million or more in Russia’s energy industry, related pipelines, and civilian nuclear projects;
- sanctions on US and third party investments in Russian privatization of state-owned assets and sovereign debt sales; and
- sanctions on any Russian national accused of human rights abuses.
The measure mandates the DHS secretary to proliferate propaganda, irresponsibly claiming (nonexistent) Russian cyberattacks threaten US national security.
It includes a recitation of fabricated Russian international crimes never committed. It requires the secretary of state to issue detailed reports on its media available to US viewers, listeners and readers - largely targeting RT (Russia Today) and Sputnik News, possibly a preliminary move ahead of banning them.
The legislation contains various other mandates, sunsetting 10 years after enactment, subject to indefinite renewal if enacted into law.
The measure’s intent is simple to understand. It’s an attempt, along with other schemes, to prevent Trump from improving bilateral US/Russia ties, including cooperating with Putin in combating terrorism and rescinding earlier sanctions imposed.
Virtually the entire Congress, America’s intelligence community, and go-along media scoundrels want adversarial relations continued unchanged, maintaining the myth of a nonexistent Russian existential threat.
How Trump intends dealing with dark forces aligned against him remains to be seen. His tenure, for as long as it lasts, may turn out the most turbulent in US history - its ending yet to be determined.
Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago. He can be reached at email@example.com.
His new book as editor and contributor is titled "Flashpoint in Ukraine: How the US Drive for Hegemony Risks WW III."
Visit his blog site at sjlendman.blogspot.com.
Listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the Progressive Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network.